Skip to Main Content
Home / Restitution and Victim Services

Restitution and Victim Services


Restitution Collection and Victim Assistance

The Department of Public Safety (PSD), Restitution and Victim Services (RAVS) office provides information, support, and referral assistance to crime victims and the general public. RAVS is also responsible for processing court-ordered restitution deductions from inmates while they are incarcerated. RAVS works closely with the correctional facilities to ensure that restitution is sent timely to the Crime Victim Compensation Commission (CVCC) for payment to victims.

RAVS Services

  • Answer questions about the criminal
    justice process
  • Assist victims with inquiries related to their court-ordered restitution
  • Assist victims with registering to receive automated notifications about an offender’s custody or release status by telephone, text, or email (HI SAVIN or Vinelink)
  • Refer victims to community services and resources, including crime victim compensation
  • Advocate on behalf of victims who are being harassed by, or receiving unwanted contact from inmates


Receiving restitution? Please click here to take the Restitution Client Satisfaction Survey!

Frequently Asked Questions

How will I receive my court-ordered restitution?

If the offender is on probation, you will receive your restitution checks from the Court. A probation officer from the Judiciary’s Adult Client Services Branch (ACSB) will supervise the offender and enforce any restitution ordered.

If the offender is in prison or on work furlough, you will receive your restitution checks from CVCC. Restitution is collected from prison and furlough inmates by PSD as provided by law (Hawai‘i Revised Statutes Sections §353-22.6 and §353-17).

If the offender is on parole, you will receive your restitution checks from CVCC. A parole officer from the Hawai‘i Paroling Authority will supervise the offender and collect any court-ordered restitution.

If you have any questions about your restitution payments, please contact RAVS at (808) 587-2550.

If your mailing address has changed, please immediately notify ACSB (for probation cases) or CVCC (for prison/furlough/parole cases) at the phone numbers listed on the back of this brochure. It is important to keep your mailing address updated to ensure you receive your restitution payments in a timely manner.

What if the offender has completed their sentence but hasn’t paid off their restitution?

Under Hawai‘i law, HRS §706-647 Civil Enforcement, you may file a certified or exemplified copy of the restitution order with the court clerk as a “special proceeding” without a filing fee. After filing, you may be able to enforce the order in the same manner as a civil action. You may want to seek advice from an attorney in enforcing such an order.

Am I eligible for crime victim compensation?

If you were the victim of a violent crime, you may be eligible for compensation from the Crime Victim Compensation Commission to cover your crime-related losses that are not covered by another source like medical insurance. Eligible losses include medical and mental health treatment, lost wages, and funeral expenses. Eligibility requirements include timely police reporting and application submission. Compensation amounts are limited by law.

Please call RAVS for additional information or help in applying for compensation, or visit

How do I register for notification of an offender’s release from prison?

HI SAVIN, the Statewide Automated Victim Information and Notification system, is a free service that allows people to look up an inmate’s status online or register to receive notifications via phone, email, or text about an inmate’s custody, release or parole status. To register for notifications, call 1-877-846-3444 or go to

This product was produced by the Department of Public Safety, Restitution and Victim Services office and supported by grant number 16-VA-23 awarded by the Office for Victims of Crime, Office of Justice Programs, U.S. Department of Justice through the State of Hawai‘i Department of the Attorney General. The opinions, findings, and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this product are those of the contributors and do not necessarily represent the official position or policies of the State of Hawai‘i Department of the Attorney General or the U.S. Department of Justice.


Victim Resources

Victim/Witness Kokua Services
Services for Victims and Witnesses

The main goal of the Victim/Witness Kokua Services is to provide specialized services to victims/witnesses of violent crime who are going through the criminal justice system. These crimes include as saults, sexual assaults, terroristic threatening, kidnapping, reckless endangering, spouse/partner abuse, child abuse, and elder abuse. Surviving family members of homicide, manslaughter, and negligent homicide cases receive support services and case information.

Services provided by the Victim/Witness Counselors include:

  • Orientation to the Criminal Justice System
  • Crisis Counseling
  • Assistance with Filing a Misdemeanor Criminal Complaint Case Status Information
  • Court Accompaniment
  • Social Service Referrals
  • Application for Crime Victims Compensation

Rights of Victims in Criminal Proceedings
Upon written request, victims of a violent crime and surviving family members may be entitled to the following rights:

  • To be informed of the final disposition of the case
  • To be informed of court continuances
  • To be informed of social services available to victims
  • To be provided with a secure waiting area during court proceedings

If the crime charged is a felony, victims of violent crime and surviving family members may be entitled to additional rights:

  • To be informed whenever the defendant is released from custody
  • To be informed of case status and hearing dates
  • To be consulted and advised about plea bargaining

Victim/Witness Kokua Services
Department of the Prosecuting Attorney
1060 Richards Street, 9th Floor
Honolulu, Hawai‘i 96813
Office Hours: Mon.-Fri., 7:45-4:30 p.m.

Phone: (808) 768-7401 (Office)
Fax: (808) 768-6417
TTY: (808) 768-7404
Toll Free Calls: 1-800-531-5538